Propane Safety

At WOC Energy, our trained technicians are absolutely dedicated to ensuring the safety of our customers. Should you ever have a concern, call us immediately at 1-800-542-3541.

Held in August 2019, the WOC Safety Rodeo involved all employees in Towanda and Mansfield in a day centered around safety. The day included a review of safety policies and responsibilities. The event also let drivers show off their maneuverability skills. Skill tests included the serpentine course, the closest to the cone course, and parallel parking.

picture of Towanda Team

The Team in Towanda

The winners of the day were:

  • First Place: Chris Gardner
  • Second Place: Jerry Monro
  • Third Place: Ed Pelchey

picture of Mansfield Team

The Team in Mansfield

The winners of the day were:

  • First Place: Tom Reese
  • Second Place: Kevin Watts
  • Third Place: Dave Wesby-Gibson

If you smell gas…

No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.

Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.

Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise) as far as it will turn.

Report the leak. From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane supplier immediately. If you can't reach your propane supplier, call 911 or your local fire department.

Do not return to the building or area until a WOC Energy service technician determines that it is safe to do so.

Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, ensure that one of our qualified service technicians checks your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.


The Commercial Safety Data Sheet is available on our Commercial page.

Propane Safety: What to do if you smell gas…

Back to top

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Safety

At WOC Energy, your safety and the safe use of your propane gas system are our primary concerns. Please contact us if you ever have any questions about the operation or maintenance of your propane gas system and appliances. If you have a concern, call us immediately at 1-800-542-3541.

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that cannot be detected through sense of smell or taste. The initial symptoms of low to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu but without the fever.

Exposure may cause you to experience any or all of these symptoms:

  • Headaches, tightness across the forehead and temples
  • Fatigue, weakness, dizziness and nausea
  • Loss of muscular control
  • Watering and smarting of the eyes
  • Shortness of breath

High-level carbon monoxide poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:

  • Mental confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of muscular coordination
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Ultimately death

In an Emergency

If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, act immediately! If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department. If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing the carbon monoxide. If no one has physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, but you suspect that carbon monoxide is present, call WOC Energy to check carbon monoxide levels and your propane equipment at 1-800-542-3541.

Safety Tips – Prevent and Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
  • Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open.
  • Use generators outside only, far away from the home. Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking.
  • Do not barbeque in the garage.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
  • Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
  • Install battery-operated carbon monoxide alarms or carbon monoxide alarms with battery backup in your home outside each sleeping area and every level of the home. It is best to use interconnected alarms if possible so all carbon monoxide alarms in the home will sound.

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Sleepiness
  • Confusion

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.

Back to top